just an apprentice

the Word became flesh and dwelt among us...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Girl on a Tractor...

I knew the names of all the cows before
I knew my alphabet, but no matter the
subject; I had mastery of it, and when
it came time to help in the fields, I
learned to drive a tractor at just the right
speed, so that two men, walking
on either side of the moving wagon
could each lift a bale, walk towards
the steadily arriving platform and
simultaneously hoist the hay onto
the rack, walk to the next bale, lift,
turn, and find me there, exactly where
I should be, my hand on the throttle,
carefully measuring out the pace.
Joyce Sutphen

3 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM , Blogger Gecko Girl said...

    I am assuming this could have been true of Heather's family, but you? :-)

    Such nice and happy pictures of Mackenzie and your mother-in-law.

     
  • At 4:29 PM , Blogger Brian Miller said...

    This poem was read by my brother-in-law, Ryan Loewer at the memorial service for his mother (my mother-in-law). He connected the words and images of the poem to his images and memories of Onietta.

    I posted it because I was thinking about her today.

    I was thinking about her, about women, about gender, about language....

     
  • At 9:32 PM , Blogger Gecko Girl said...

    How beautiful . . . may you have beautiful thoughts and memories!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home